Re: 164 oil leaks

In message , Todd Boyer <tboyer@domain.elided> writes
>Hello everyone, I know there are some 164 experts out there so I have a =
>question for them.  My 164 has 126k on it.  When I bought it at 115k it =
>was supposed to have had the 120k service on it.  It turns out it did =
>not (just a warning for those of you who use A-1 auto in Mountain View =
>CA).  So I had the 'external' work done, i.e. timing belt, cap and =
>rotor, upgrade timing belt tensioner, etc, but did not have the valves =
>adjusted.  Now oil is fouling up the spark plugs.  I was using Mobil 1 =
>15w-50, but have switched to Red line 20w50 on the last change which was =
>today.  The valves click a bit too.  So here's my ignorant question.  Do =
>I need a valve job? (not sure it was done at the 120k "service") or do I =
>need a rebuild.  This seems a little early for a rebuild give these =
>engines are supposed to last much longer than that.  Thanks for your =
>help
Todd, mine had a dealer 120K mile service which did include valve
clearance adjustment. As a point to check, mine had a valve ticking like
noise which turned out to be a leaking rear exhaust gasket. I thrashed
it until it got real bad to diagnose it.
Mine now has 145K miles on it without a rebuild (apart from when the
belt went and the top ends got trashed) so I wold trust the bottom ends
on yours to be in good condition provided you keep oil in it. The oil on
the plugs could be valve guide seals and could be done if you get the
valves reshimmed, but do a compression check as well. My dealer does
this as a matter of course before and after a shim job to check that he
didn't shim them too tight. (ie do it wrong!)

IMHO oil to cars is the same as beer is to men. They need it in the
correct grade and quantity, too much or too little, or the wrong grade
is no good. Oh, and spilling a bit is no big deal unless you have no
more.
BTW I'm no expert, though I do sleep with mine occasionaly
- --
Jonathan Coates
164LV6 Daily driver
752.0TS T car
Alfetta 2.0 GTV Veni Vidi Visa
33 Wagon
How much is $33,300 in English money? (SZ ?)

End of alfa-digest V7 #2