Re: 77 Spider

Carson wrote:

>Well this seemingly simple problem has me stumped. Our spider decided not
>to start during the middle of the day because of no spark. Up until this
>point it has been running good with the occasional miss which of late has
>been getting more and more common. From once every twenty miles or so to a
>couple of times a mile. I pulled out the distributor to check the points
>and both sets were smooth and flat with a reasonable amount of gap. Put it
>all back together correctly and tightened up two of the little do hicky
>things on the top of the spark plugs that were loose. Now nada. I have
>twelve volts on both sides of the coil. When one side leave the coil it
>goes through some plastic plugs up to a thermal switch on the intake
>manifold then down to a relay by the air oil sep. The twelve volts is lost
>in here somewhere I am pretty sure and I wasn't about to aimlessly go
>jumping circuits before talking to you guys and one gal I'm sure. All my
>books and stuff are still packed from our move, we don't get our house
>until aug 25 then we have to build a garage, bla bla bla.... The car is out
>at the airport too. It sure looks good from a distance?.... Any ideas
>Thanks

Carson - I had a problem like this on my '72 once. It would skip a beat just
once in awhile and then one day it just completely quit. It started up but a
few weeks later it quit again. It turned out to be corrosion between the
baseplate in the distributor (where the points are mounted) and the small
aluminum mounting block beneath it. This is where the circuit gets it's
ground.

Of course I didn't have any thermal switches or relays (I don't know what
all that's about). I'd suggest you start by jumping a wire across all that
crap and see if your basic ignition circuit is working okay.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project
E-Mail - mailto:pi@domain.elided