Re: alfa-digest V7 #1

>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:21:24 +0200
>From: Jaap Bouma <j.h.bouma@domain.elided>
>Subject: clutch problem GTV6
>
>Hi all,
>i've got a problem with the clutch in my '87 gtv6 2.5 that i've never come
>across before, and before i start taking everything apart, i was hoping
>somebody out there might point me in the right direction.
>The problem is that most of the time the clutch fails to disengage when the
>pedal is depressed. Of course this makes gearchanges very difficult. I've
>found that blipping the throttle before changing to neutral causes the
>clutch to disengage, which is accompanied by a single sharp click or tap
>coming from the transmission. Once this has happened, the gearchange is as
>sweet as you could wish for (in a transaxle alfa...)
>If the engine is not running, the sticking clutch will even hold the weight
>of the car on a slope if a gear is selected and the clutch pedal is
>depressed. Is this a typical problem, and what would be the most likely
>cause? I can think of several myself, plates sticking on gearbox shaft,
>pressure plates shot, clutch fork breaking, but which is it? Any help
>deeply appreciated!

Mine used to do that when I had the original double-disc clutch
(lasted 96k miles).  Turns out that one of the discs was still good
providing enough grip to make the car go.  However, the second disc
was trashed and the metal backing bent such that sometimes the
clutch would stick and sometimes it wouldn't.  Sometimes hitting
good pothole or speedbump would cause it to unstick.  Othertimes
getting the disc to spin faster than the plate (i.e. blip the
throttle with the clutch pedal down and the tranny in gear)
would cause it to unstick.

In either case, pull the clutch and have a look at the discs.
I'll bet you need a new clutch.

- -Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 GTV-6