Speedo Probs

Yasha,

>About a week after fitting 3.0 rims and tires, my speedometer stopped
>working. It fluttered for a minute or two, jumping up and down, then
>nothing. Any idea what happened or how to fix it.

Experience with the breed indicates that the speedo sending unit is always
a likely suspect.  The unit is located at the front, driver's side of the
transaxle housing.  You can conduct a simple test:

-  Pull the double spade plug from the end of the unit.
-  Turn the car's ignition to the "on" position--no need to start it.
-  Slip a wire into each of the female spades within the plug.
-  While watching the speedo, make and break the connection between the two
wires.  You should see the speedo needle move.  If the needle moves, the
problem is in the sending unit.  If the needle doesn't move, the problem is
between the sending unit and the speedo.  I'll lay odds that it's the
sender.

The sending units contain a small circuit board.  The connections between
the male spades and the circuit board are typically made by cold solder
joints that oxidize with age.  To fix the unit:

-  Remove the sender from the transaxle.
-  Cut the gold band to open the unit.
-  Redo the solder joints between the spade studs and the circuit board
(unsolder; clean up oxidation with steel wool; clean away loose dirt,
oxidation, and steel wool bits; resolder).
-  Reclose the unit by using the old metal band and a hose clamp.
-  Reinstall unit.
-  Season to taste.

Hope this helps,

Rich