Re: '85 Spider - Sagging Doors

Richard,

I own an '84 Spider with 75K miles.  The doors don't sag at all and close
with a solid "THUNK!".  On the other hand I also own an '82 Corolla (Car of
the Century candidate, ha ha) that needed the driver's side door hinges
replaced.  It was very obvious that the hinges were the problem since I was
able to lift the door.  I your case, I would be concerned about poorly
repaired rocker panels.  Another Spider owner told me that his car had the
rocker panels replaced while it was jacked in an improper manner (don't
remember exactly how).  Since the car depends on these for rigidity, it
sagged once the old rocker panels were cut off.  The new ones were
installed, but with the car in the sagging state, so... his doors were not
aligned right.  Bottom line is that even if there was no serious accident,
or if all the rust was fixed, it may be warped.   I hope that you didn't
fall too much in love with this car.

Octavian - Issaquah, WA  '84 Spider      '87 Milano 2.5      Misc. Car of
the Century Candidates