91' 164L Autotrans, 4th to 3rd downshift problem

I have a 91' 164L with 63k.  The automatic transmission has taken to
shifting incorrectly from fourth to third gear.  It shifts from third to
fourth in the regular fashion, but when I come to hills and I need it to
downshift it pops into what appears to be neutral. Note, I am not punching
the throttle and watching it jump into second gear and the fluid levels are
normal.

What could be causing in this?  And more importantly, can I drive it for a
month without having it fixed?  I need to make two two-hundred  mile trips
during this time and would like to put off fixing it.

So what do the experts think?

Keith$

Keith H. Christoffers
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Department of Neuroscience

christkh@umdnj.edu
www.umdnj.edu/~christkh