RE: Electronic ignition for '72 GTV 2000 ?

I have a home built electronic ignition unit in my '68 GTV 1750, and it
works a charm.  It saves me a fortune in points, and keeps the tune for
much longer.

you still have to adjust the timing periodically to offset wear on the
points' rubbing block, but no more burnt out points, and no more
electrical problems.

The unit I built can be put together by anyone with a basic electronic
skill (ie: can read and solder) and is quite advanced.  it uses a chip
specially designed for this purpose.  It came from an article in an
electronics magazine.  It also cost me far less than most commercial
units, and outperforms most of them.

if anyone is interested, I could scan in the article and post it to any
who are interested.

>Would be even better if there would be a possibility to have a choice
>from different chips for more HP or better economy!

I think, that this is really the same thing.  if the engine is operating
more efficiently, then you will see better fuel economy AND more power.

having said that, I think the main advantage of electronic ignition is
not a 50hp power boost, but an increase in reliability, life of parts
such as points and plugs, and ease of tuning.

I also have the same unit in a Datsun 1600 rally car, and it has never
missed a beat, despite the constant pounding it recieves.

Ben.