Re: CDI (was Re: Electronic Ignition)

>Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 18:56:38 +0100
>From: benschop@westbrabant.net
>Subject: Electronic ignition for '72 GTV 2000 ?
>
>Does anyone know about the existance of an electronic ignition system
>for a '72 GTV 2000.
>
>Modern electronic ignition units produce a much higher voltage and
>consequently a much better starting behaviour in modern cars (at least
>that is what I understood).
>
>This, together with the fact that these electronic ignition systems do
>not need any maintanance makes me want such a system in my GTV.

Sorry to (sort of) change the subject, but does anyone have experience
with CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition)?

The advantages are that you keep the points but still get high energy
sparking and low maintenance (since the points are only switching a
small current to control a transistor instead of a large one to
control the coil; also dwell is handled in the CDI unit instead of
point gap adjustment)

With CDI, you also get the benefit of a semi-redundant ignition
system: If the CDI unit fails, just move the wire from the CDI unit to
the coil and you are on the road again.

-Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 Alfa Romeo  GTV-6, white