Re: Brake pedal

In message , bill <74632.510@compuserve.com> writes
>I have a very subtle drop in the brake pedal when my foot remains on the
>brake for extended periods of time (1991 164L.)  Any ideas ?  Doesn't seem
>to affect braking.
I've had this effect on several cars, all non-Alfa. I was told by a good
mechanic that if you put your foot on the pedal gently you can get to a
point where you only just trigger the servo into action. This appears to
pull the pedal away from your foot.
Are you pressing hard for extended periods? If so you could have a
leaking caliper (look for signs at the caliper), or a leaking master
cylinder (internal leak, no drips to look for) which is passing on one
of the two circuits. The good circuit will maintain the pedal pressure
after the pedal has dropped a little.This needs looking at urgently,
like before your brakes fail.
Modern braking systems are really good and even hint at future failure.
Take the hint, rather than the hit.
In the UK you can get free brake tests at tyre places, they work on the
principle that if they find a problem with your brakes, you daren't
drive away without allowing them to correct the fault, this is likely to
be the case where you are.
--
Jonathan Coates
164LV6 Daily driver