Re:Syncho wear

I have had occasion to teach driving on non synchromesh transmissions.
Often times when a new driver is learning he/she will rev the engine
quickly in an attempt at a smooth shift.  Most often when the revs are
brought up quickly they will rev the engine past the speed where the
gears will mesh.  I am confident that most people using this technique
with an Alfa are doing the same thing.  If you bring the revs up past
where they need to be to match the gears the synchros need to work just
as hard as if the syncros did all the work.
I realize that bringing the revs up helps when the clutch is engaged
after the shift is complete, (helps with the wheels not having to bring
the engine up to speed)  But generally this does nothing to help the
synchos do thier job.
The best advice I have heard about synchor is to slow your shifts untill
the box is fully up to temperature.  It also helps to learn to drive a
non synchro box, but the closest most of us can come to this is to shift
without using the clutch.  This is good training, but some risk is
involved.   Kevin

71 Spider
Orem Utah

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]