164 Oil leaks - Cigarette Seals or Main seal?

Adam Coombe <Adam@h2osystems.demon.co.uk> writes...

>I'd check for leaks on the engine sump as the "cigarette" seals on the
>engine sometimes leak and I've heard can only be replace with the
>gearbox off, or engine out, mine leaks a present, dripping sump oil onto
>the manifold, however rectification will have to wait ! Has any one else
>experienced this problem on 164 v6?

Yes, I'd venture to say it's the most common place for a 164 to leak oil.
 However, I'm inclined to think mine is leaking (very small amount) from
the main seal located behind the flywheel.  Incidentally, the cigarette
seals CAN be replaced with the gearbox and motor in place - mine were
replaced just prior to purchase almost three years ago.  However, as is
the case with most 164 repairs, removing *stuff* (gearbox, motor, heads,
etc.)  makes  many tasks dramatically easier.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]