re: synchros and pedal height

So, aside from the boor bashing, did anybody respond to the question
regarding synchro wear? I haven't seen all the digests recently.

My understanding is that synchromesh are simply band clutches -- they
operate under friction to allow the input and output shafts of the
transmission to spin at the same speed so that the appropriate gear can be
engaged. You might say that Alfa 2nd gears wear fast, but actually in any
car the synchromesh can wear out; the speed of wear depends on the
material used to make the band and the driving style of the user. 2nd
might tend to wear first because it is used quite often... I would think
4th or 5th would wear the least. I also believe the material used in the
Alfa synchros is the same as or similar to that used in the older Porsche
(pushrod-type cars, pre-911) transmissions, which required rebuilding
periodically.

Tess

A website about sportscars?!
http://www.halcyon.com/tessmc/  (pardon the construction)