Re: synchro problems and brake pedal height

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au wrote:

> Re: synchro problems and brake pedal height
>
> in V6.28
> >Costel wrote:
> >
> ">> - - When downshifting, "toe" the gas pedal.  In other words, blah, blah,
> blah...
> ..And since we are talking synchros, can somebody explain why Alfas have
> problems only with 1st and 2nd gear synchros.
>
> For fuck sake, don't you people read? - I am inclined to respond at first
> impulse. But that would possibly be construed as marginally offensive to our
> fellow with the question.

Marginally offensive? It is damned offensive to me, you boor.

> As in all research, check your assumptions, check then recheck your sources,

Try to follow your own advice, booby.

> From: "Clonan, Lloyd" <Lloyd.Clonan@dsto.defence.gov.au>
> Subject: Alfa33 1st gear synchromesh problems
>
> It appears to me that no one really understands the Alfa 33 or
> Alfasud or 105 or 116 gearbox first gear synchromesh.

Do you see Clonan ONLY referring to first gear?  The original question
referred to first AND second!

> first gear from neutral on all Alfa models mentioned,  up until the Alfa 90
and / or GTV6 with the "Isostatic" change mechanism was very bad.   The
reason for this is that there is no synchromesh when effecting this
change,  due to the omission of the "brake shoe" on the inside of the
synchronizer of first gear. If you study carefully the  exploded view of any
or all of the abovementioned boxes you will notice that 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
and 5th gears all have two "brake shoes", but 1st gear has only one,
meaning that the box was designed for synchronised shifting from 2nd down
to first but not when shifting from neutral > to 1st.
snip...

> AROCA (SA Div.) Technical Committee

Intolerance is NOT acceptable--straighten up, you might then be worth
something.

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@crl.com>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******