poor grounds=no gauge readings

     It's been said many times before, but it probably bears repeating:
     Alfa electrical (especially gauge) problems are often just a ground
     problem.  My Berlina's gas gauge worked OK til last week, when it got
     erratic for a day or two, then stopped altogether.  I checked the
     connections at the sending unit and the back of the gauge, which were
     OK.  Last night, I first removed and grounded the gauge wire to the
     body, and the gauge read full, meaning the gauge was OK.  Then I took
     a long wire and grounded the sending unit to the body, and voila, the
     gauge worked as it should.  All the machine screws holding the sending
     unit to the tank were tight, but the sheet metal screws holding the
     tank to the trunk floor were wet, loose, and yucky.  So I tightened
     them all up and now all's well.

     Andrew Watry
     Berlina Register
     67 Giulia Super
     69 Berlina
     74 GTV (time to check its sending unit ground)