Re: Jonathan's RHD 164's throttle cable replacement

<<<Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 21:19:26 +0000
From: Jonathan Coates <cdico.demon.co.uk@cdico.demon.co.uk>
Subject: RHD 164 throttle cable fitting - how the _____!?  >>>

Hello Jonathan, and my commiserations.  Been there, done that.  All you say is
true and brings it all back to me like a nightmare.  The job first requires
the car to be moved to a four-letter word zone.  :-)

IIRC (and I did the job about 18 months ago):  first thing you do is hack a
lot of inch-thick sound insulation away from the work area.  I think I pulled
the inner through the bulkheads by using the old cable inner from the pedal
end.  I used a socket and several extensions taped to the cable outer with pvc
tape to locate the first bolt. This keeps everything more or less
controllable.  You find the hole to put it in purely by feel, because as you
point out you can't see anything even with a mirror on a stick.  It sounds
easy when I put it like that, but it isn't.  The second bolt went in easier.
The job took me several hours, most of which was spent trying to work out a
possible way to do it, and failing on several methods.  look on the bright
side:  you feel pretty damned pleased with yourself when you've finished.
Good luck.

Tony Wood
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tonywoodtw/">Homepage, my steam railway pics,
etc.</A>