Re: Alfa Romeo 33 16v 1st Gear Crunch

> However, when shifting into first gear I occasionally get the dreaded
> gear crunch.

The Alfasud/33 transmission has a particularily weak first gear
synchro.   The "crunch" happens mostly when the trans fluid is at or
near operating temparature and as you've probably guessed it is not
very good for the synchro in the long run.  To avoid it you have 2
  1. Hold the clutch in for 3-5 seconds before engaging into 1st.
  2. In a pinch, put it in 2nd gear and immediately shift into 1st.

Option 2 works very well.  I've owned several Alfasuds/33s and never
had early 2nd gear synchro wear because of this technique.
Once you drive an Alfa you'll never go "back".  ;-)

Sincerely,
Daniel

Moulton Data Services, Inc.
Attn: Daniel I. Trnka