Subject: Re: Alfa Romeo 33 16v 1st Gear Crunch

Hi Lucian and Eddie,

I currently have a 33 1.5IE (150.000km) and have the same problem too.  It's
well known that Alfa gear box are not like german one.  However it's
possible to shift quiet easly (without crunch) as far you :
1. do it fast enough to keep synchro working.  If you "wait" too long before
shifting you loose the synchro;
2. fully push on clutch pedal
3. the car is not moving too fast (for the first gear of course)

It's maybe a little bit sally to say that but if I miss one of that point,
my 1st gear crunch too.  I'm also using the trick of second gear (not
completly, just start to shift in second and immediatly after shifting 1st :
you resynchronise the 1st one)

I do a lot by myself, but I never would have to work on a gear box.  I
assume that price can be very high if you have to do it by a mechanic and
I'm not sure that result will be on the level you paid.

If it can help, I have a book (in french) "Revue technique automobile" about
all 33 models (last model).  I can give you either a copy or the reference
to buy one.  It is not as complete as a official Alfa workshop manual but it
help (at least me).

Regards,
Yvon

PS : I leave in Belgium