164 hard to crank, runs poorly, codes and where to get the connector

We've had a '91 164 automatic since last summer.  It now has 65K miles,
having accumulated about 8K since we bought it.  Shortly after purchase,
it started running poorly and became increasingly hard to start.  This
was eventually traced, with the help of a few phone calls to Mr.
DiMatteo, to a crack in the small fuel line within the tank.

It was shortly after this time that I got internet access, discovered
the AD and the various alfa pages.  I learned that quite a few 164
owners had trouble with the aforementioned fuel line and many had
problems with the connection for the temperature sensor.

Up until about a week ago the engine ran fine in the 164.  Then I
started having very similar troubles to those that required the fuel
line.  This time I ran the Motronic self-test and got code 1-2-1-4.
(--- Someone had asked about the codes on v06.019---The Motronic codes
and procedures for getting the same are on Colin Verrilli's 164 page and
I believe they were provided by Mr. DiMatteo---)  The code I got related
to extremely high or very low tempretures or a problem in this area.  So
I looked at the sensor and connector.  When I wiggled the connector, one
of the wires broke free.  Well, the wire looked pretty corroded and with
the other clues, I figured I had found the problem.  But, I worried that
I wouldn't be able to find a connector, especially on Sunday.

I went to the nearby Discount Auto Parts Store (that was the name of
it), handed the guy behind the counter the old connector, said it was a
Bosch connector for an Alfa Romeo temperature sensor and asked if he had
anything like it.  After he finished asking me who made Alfa Romeo and
receiving the response, he disappeared behind a parts rack, returning
shortly with a grin and a package.  What he brought back was a GM fuel
injection connector that was identical (except color) to the old one.
It cost $1.99.  A little solder, some shrink wrap, a few plastic wire
ties, a bit of anitfreeze and an hour later, the car was running fine
with no more error codes.

Corrosion from coolant, water, etc. was part of the caue.  The rest
seems to be what Mark Jones pointed out - not enough slack in the wires
between the connector at the water pump and where they are clipped to
the sheet metal.

I hope this information can be of help to someone as that posted by
others has been to me.

Rodney G. Tidwell
McComb, MS
84 GTV6