Re: ource for kuniform tubing in US?

At 01:15 PM 2/27/98 -0500,  Mike Grace <mgrace@toyon.com> wrote:

>Nobody responded to my post regarding the suitability of aluminum tubing
>for *fuel* lines, so I assume everyone's too polite to tell me I'm an idiot
>for thinking it's OK. So does anybody know of a US source (preferably in
>So.Cal.) for kuniform tubing which apparently is suitable for brakes as
>well as fuel? (Non-rusting, non-rubber alternatives are OK too.)

i didn't see your earlier posting yet (too much email), so i'll mention
that aluminum tubing is fine for normal automotive fuels, as long as the
pressure is reasonably low and you pay proper attention to fatigue issues.
i have used aluminum tubing in the fuel system for my ITB Alfetta, on the
lines from the tank forward.  of course, the lines to the engine need to be
flexible and have plenty of length due to vibration, so i used stainless
steel braided line from earl's there, and the SCCA does not permit aluminum
lines in the passenger compartment, so i used stainless steel braided there
as well.

moroso makes a very high quality aluminum fuel line for exactly that purpose.

i'm much, much less enthusiastic about aluminum fuel line for brakes. this
strikes me as being an Extremely Bad Idea. the pressures in a braking
system are simply too high; i would expect fatigue followed by
exceptionally unpleasant failure.

richard