Strange oil pressure indication in GTV 2.0?

Here's one for you dyed in Alfa fluids.

My oil gauge seems to act as it should up to 2000RPM,
rising with RPM up to 4kg/cm2 with a hot engine. Then it falls off
all the way down to 0 as the RPM rises!? If I depress
the clutch, the pressure comes back. But I then also
let it fall below 2000RPM.

Here's datapoints that I can imagine may be of significance:

- Engine has 190.000km, but sounds fine.
- It had a head overhaul just before I bought it according to PO.
  I don' know why.
- Dipstick is long enough.
- No sign of contaminated oil.
- No sign of contaminated coolant.
- Speedometer works only now and then. It seems it will
  decide upon working or not as I turn on the ignition.
  I does not flick between failure and working when driving.
- I cannot tell if this fault has come suddenly or not,
  as I have only driven some 30km since I got the car.
- Ohter instuments and lights works now. But only after I
  undid some funky wiring introduced by PO.
- The gauge never falls below 0 like it does when ignition
  is off.
- I thought the pressure rose as I depressed the clutch,
  but I'm not so sure anymore. I now believe it is RPM dependant.
  With the clutch at the other end of the car, should there
  be any fault that could make clutch position a factor? If it
  was at the crank, I would guessed at worn thrust bearings.

While in lurk mode I have seen mentioned that the pressure
sensor is faulty in many cases. But how can it err synchronous
with RPM or the position of the clutch?

I will if necessry install a manometer type instrument to see
if the pressure is really falling like this, but if this
is a known mode of failure, please tell me. It might save
me the plumbing.
I'll be driving carefully and mostly <2000RPM to map any
dependencies I may have overloooked.

--
Einar Sjaavik, einar_sjavik@login.eunet.no,
http://www.login.eunet.no/~einar/