V6 query: oil in exhaust manifold bolt hole

Hi all,

I know it's not a good idea to ask a question and start off like this,
but here goes:

<rant severity=minor>

I know that people are too busy discussing GMs and other non-alfa
issues, but could people spend a few neurones answering some technical
questions?

</rant>

This question is now relegated to curiosity value, since I went ahead
and just did it up "tight" anyway, but I would like to know how it's
supposed to be done.

> I'm going the install a new PS fluid supply hose (pump -> rack) hose on
> my 90, after the old one started to weep PS fluid from heat degradation
> (it passes very close to the LHS header), and I have the torque specs
> from the manual, but the question I have is how to actually torque a
> hose union. Is there some sort of drive adaptor that looks like an
> open-ended spanner that I can attach to a torque wrench? I'm not sure
> off the top of my head, but the manual appears to show in some places
> something very similar. Or should I just use an open-ended spanner and
> do it up "tight"?.

While replacing this hose, I had to remove the LHS exhaust manifold,
simply because I don't have hands the size of five year olds attached to
garden hose wrists (both skinny and flexible). Anyhow for my efforts, I
was rewarded with a nice dollop of engine oil when I removed the bolt
that holds the manifold onto #6. I'm a little concerned, but not overly,
since there doesn't seem to be any mixing of oil and water in either
direction. Additional info: #6 exhaust port was a little greasier than
either 4 or 5, but not by much. I do get some smoke on heavy
acceleration, but its only visible at night in the lights of the car
behind. Oil consumption is around a litre/1000Ks: heavy but not
excessive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
--
Tony Lupton                            *           CiTR Pty Ltd
Email: t.lupton@citr.com.au         *    *         339 Coronation Drive