Re: matching 164 bumper gray

>I can't beleive no one out there has the paint code for
>the grey on the bumpers of a 1991 164 base. There are
>no sticker on my new to me car, trunk lid, hood, doors,
>engine bay, someone at some time has removed them.
>
>Old Post:
>Has anyone out there successfully match the gray paint
>on the bumpers and side panels of a 1991 164 base.
>I don't want to paint all the gray panels and front bumper
>because they are factory perfect, but my rear bumper is
>way off. I have seen quite a few cars that have been painted
>and few match the factory gray. So, if some one has a code
>for the Gray on a White 164 base, can you post it. Also if there
>is any tricks to match the paint please let me know. There also
>seems to be different grays on L and S models.

*****

The gray side skirts and bumpers were pretty much standard throughout the
164 (B and L) range.  I've seen some panels painted body color (nice
option!), but I've not come across a paint code sticker for the grey.  I
didn't really want to recommend this (yet, anyay), but several months ago I
picked up a can of spray touch-up paint at Grand Auto.  It's been too wet
outside and I haven't had an opportunity to test it, but I held the plastic
cap of the can next to the grey bumper and it was an exact match (not
concours quality, but good enough for my purposes).  Of course, once I
spray it it will be a shade too light or too dark, just watch.  FYI, I'll
post the brand and model # to the list once I locate the can.

Chris Robyn
Berkeley, CA
'84 GTV-6
'91 168