Re: alfa-digest V6 #12

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:04:46 -0500
> From: "Simpson, Jr, Joe B." <jbs@rti.org>
> Subject: RE: Stupid GM Features (was GM hates Italian Cars)
>

> I think your friend and coworker have misinformed you, or have been
> misinformed themselves.  I just called a local Chevy service department
> and spoke with the manager, and also rang up an independent mechanic I
> know - both of whom said that all GM V-6 engines are very rebuildable
> unless the block is damaged beyond repair.  The Chevy guy said that your
> buddy probably got it backward: there are some GM V-6 engines that you
> can no longer get *new* - you must either rebuild them or replace them
> with a different engine.
>
> My favorite GM feature:  The 4.3L V-6 engine.  I just sold my '88 S-10
> Blazer with 161,000 miles on it, the engine still running like clockwork
> with no leaking or smoking - and never having needed a single internal
> engine repair.  How many of us can say the same for our Alfas?
>
>  -joe
>
> ------------------------------

Joe

My 91 Spider Veloce with automatic transmission has been my daily driver
since I picked it up new on January 19, 1991. It now has 134,600 miles
on it and it is still going strong. Most of this mileage is highway at
60 -80 mph. I never babied it, I drive it like it was designed to be
driven. I use it to Solo in and still drive it daily to work, which is
60 miles round trip a day. I've done nothing to the drive train except
normal maintenance, I change the oil and oil filter every 5,000 - 6,000
miles, change the brake fluid and differential grease once as year and
keep a clean air filter in it.

Unless something really screws up I don't plan on doing any major engine
work until around 200,000 miles any maybe not even then. I fell that as
long as you keep the oil changed and feed it clean air and good gas
it'll run for a long time.

Regards

Ralph Fetsch

Houston, Texas