Re: 74 Spider fuel question

>>Ralph Moorhouse <ralphmo@swbell.net>

>>Subject: 74 Spider fuel & Brake questions

>>...Well, its leaking again & no end

>of clamping will stop it - had a half inch of gas running around the gas

>tank flange between tank & trunk floor,  last nite after I filled the tank.

> Doesnt seem to be split but gas coming from between neck of gas tank &

>hose.  Made me VERY nervous, particularly with tail lit wires dangling in

>it!!!!

>Long pre-amble BUT does any one know of a source for the correct filler to

>tank hose.  BTW this is for 74 Spider.

I had a very similar problem with my GTV6 last summer. I (with considerable
help) made a roadside repair with a hunk of cheap 5/8" hose from Parts America
but, it said right on the package that it was low pressure hose. I knew I
would need to swap this cheapo hose out for the right high pressure hose
pretty soon. I found the correct high pressure hose at a local HotVW (hot like
fast) tuning place. Some of them VW folks really know their stuff. If you
can't find such a shop near your home you can call the VW shop I found:
Cram Foreign Auto Parts (402)731-7098 in Omaha, Nebraska
ask for Phil, he's the owner and a very knowlegable and nice guy.
Good luck.
This all reminds me of the time I replaced the fuel pump on my late lamented
1976 Audi Fox. This was the first real auto repair I did myself. I pretty much
had the whole upper half of my body soaked with gas. I squirmed out from under
the car to find my dad and my brother-in-law both standing not three feet away
from me smoking. Yikes!
See ya'll.
JimboMGA@aol.com
1984 GTV6 (graunch)