Fear in a 164 S

Dear Digesters,

I am driving home Saturday night, get on the highway set the cruise,
notice it sits a bit lower than I want, push out the Resume/Accel
switch; the car accelerates and then continues to do so after I release
the switch.
The constabulary are out in force, at about 80 mph I decide to put a
stop to it and turn off the cruise, blithely the car continues to
accelerate.  90 mph I tap the brakes, nothing, I increase the pressure
on the brakes, acceleration halted, car filling with smell of burning
pads, friends in car beginning to fidget.
Let off brakes, try the clutch, tach pegs at 7000 rpm, turn off the
ignition, coasting down a fortunately arrow straight highway.  A mile or
so later I start the engine, tach promptly pegs at 7000, turn it off,
still coasting, getting closer to my exit.  Try starting the engine
again, everything is normal.
Used the cruise this morning on the way to work, seems to operate
normally, I didn't try the Resume/Accel feature.
What is going on here ? no matter how hard I drive it, this car is
usually more predictable and reliable than the dreaded Camry/Accords my
acquaintances drive.

Thanks to Colin's diligence my remote lives again, bought the car off a
dealer didn't come with a remote.  For anyone looking; the code is on a
sticker glued to the underside of the Alarm ECU circuit board.  Wish I
had looked a couple of years...

Jay Reddy

Giulia, 164 S  -  Austin, TX