RE: Stripped inlet manifold stud

Andrew A wrote:
> What's a good, back-yard, way to remove studs?
In order of severity:
1) Double nut the stud (tighten one nut against a second). Strike end of
stud with brass hammer to shock stud. Turn inner nut counterclockwise to
unscrew stud.
2) Use vise grips to withdraw the stud (actually an 8mm stud is fairly
easy to grab hold of.)
3) A stud remover. Be careful! you can apply quite a lot of torque and
the stud can break. If this happens you'll have to drill out the stud
(preferrably with left-hand drill bit) and use an "Easyout" (a misnomer!).

> Are replacements available or should I get one made up (parts spec. is
> 8 x 1.25 and 8 x 1.00 x 37mm. All I can work out from that is that the stud
> is 37mm long! 13mm nut).

My replacement studs come from old, trashed cars. The 8x1.0/8x1.25 is pretty
common for Alfa and is used all over the engine (1.25mm pitch for the
aluminium-to-steel bond, 1.00mm pitch for the steel-to-steel bond). I think for
this location you might be able to use an 8x1.25 bolt. Another option is to cut
up a 8x1.25 bolt to convert it into a stud. On reassembly make sure you use the
right nut! It's pretty common for people to put a 1.25mm nut on a 1.00mm stud.

> What's a good way to get the stud firmly back into the block - so it
> doesn't screw back out?

Double nut it to screw it in and use threadlocker (Loctite or Wurth) to
hold it in place if you're worried about it backing out.

> Torque wrench settings for the nut? Washer? Anti-seize?

Check the manual for torque spec. Definitely use a washer. I'd use anti-seize.

> I assume the protective coating side of the manifold gasket faces the
> block, paper side to the manifold?

I think the intake manifold gaskets I've seen are "reversible."

Good luck,

Rich
Editor, i Saluti, St Louis AROC
Website: http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti