Re: Rover 2000

My parents in the late 1960s tested one to destruction in a head-on collison
with a heavier Rover at estimated closing speed well over 100 mph.  Rover
engine block split, prop-shaft went through the diff, roof ended up like a
house roof, bonnet like a concertina.  Interestingly, the doors still opened
and shut, though they were half normal width.  Same with the bonnet.

When I saw the wreck later at the garage, the men couldn't believe that the
occupants survived, but because they were wearing seatbelts they did, albeit
with injuries.  (Mum broke her neck (whiplash) but recovered OK; Dad broke a
lot of bones - jaw, arms, femurs - and now has steel plates all over, so the
family reckon that if he were left floating in a swimming pool he'd slowly
turn to point north!)

He quite likes the 164, especially its sheer heave up the very steep hills of
Devon  - bottom left-hand corner of England,  FYI: colonial cousins  ;-)
... and thought the 33 'roomy and goes well'.   His favourite car was the
Lancia Fulvia he later sold to me.

Tony Wood
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tonywoodtw/">Homepage, my steam railway pics,
etc.</A>