General Motors hates italian cars

And don't forget the problems in these cars (as well as Fords) faced by anyone who is taller than 6
feet!!
\
\Date: Sat, 21 Feb 98 21:06:49 PST
\From: HMSPITZ@Prodigy.Net
\Subject: General Motors hates italian cars
\
\Digestisti -
\
\Well, this is one Italian car owner who can't stand GM cars! So I guess =
\the feeling is mutual.  Perhaps they realize
\that people who love Alfas and Fiats are the kind of people who would not=
\ buy their products, and are therefore
\taking no risk in alienating us.
\
\Every time I rent one of those beasts (regrettably often on business, as =
\my company uses Avis), I spend
\much of my driving time cursing the following brilliant GM design feature=
\s:
\
\1) the idiotic daytime running lights, which fool you at night into think=
\ing that all the lights (like those
\at the rear) are on;
\
\2) the automatic electric locks that lock-you-in-the-car-for-your-own-goo=
\d, a big brother item which
\always causes a fight with the lock button when trying to simply let some=
\one out of the car at a curb;
\
\3) the instant-on interior light that pops on, wanted or not, on turning =
\the car off.  This is a really handy feature,
\particularly in urban neighborhoods, which allows panhandlers, carjackers=
\, and muggers to check out who you
\are and what you have with you, and, if so inclined, to clearly draw a =
\bead on you without needing to turn on their
\laser sights;
\
\4) the shoulder belts that twist up like licorice sticks, no matter how =
\many times they are untwisted or how
\carefully they are pulled out; and
\
\5) the classic GM driving "feel," as in "what feel?" Every GM car I have =
\ever driven handles, steers, and runs
\just like my dad's 71 Chevy, which was also totally forgettable except =
\as a basic transportation appliance.
\
\But hey, the folks keep buying them, at least in the heartland.
\
\Chrysler's cars are works of genius in comparison.
\
\Herb Spitz (Nomex on standby in case any GM lovers or namecallers are lur=
\king)
\Phoenix, AZ
\78 Spider