Optimising ignition timing

Greetings all,

I'd like to ask for advice please from the collective practical experience of
Digesters.

To set the igniton timing on your car (Alfa of course),  the
straightforward option is to simply set it to the manufacturer's standard
timing spec (using the timing marks provided and a strobe lamp, and
setting to the max adv point at high revs).

However I suppose it is safe to say that the standard timing may not be
the optimum for every individual engine, due to manufacturing tolerances
and subsequent wear causing every engine to differ a little. Are there
any simple options for the home mechanic to fine tune his timing?

A long time ago, when I was young (that's how long ago), I seem to
recall hearing from my father and other sources that a good method was
to floor the accelerator in top gear (or the gear below top) at mid-range
revs, and time the full-throttle acceleration time from there to some higher
point, for example, 3000 to 5000 RPM.   Then set your ignition timing for
the quickest time.
Another empirical method I have heard of is to advance the timing as far
as you can until you just avoid knocking (under provocative conditions).
What do people think of these empirical methods please, based on
experience (I don't have the experience to evaluate them with).

To fill in the picture, the Alfas I'm concerned with are all simple and
conventional....... plain carburretted cars with simple  old-fashioned
non-computer ignitions (just CB points or equiv, and distributors with
old-fashioned mech advance, plus vacuum adv in some cases).
Some of the cars have mild cams and mild exhaust mods. Nothing much
though. The rest are dead standard, but old and hence a little worn, a
little coked up, etc.

Look forward to hearing what people say.  Should I simply stick to the
standard timing and assume this is optimum for my particular engines, or
is there a simple practical way to fine tune?

CAUTIONARY NOTE (1)..... In the light of recent postings, I have to say
that I don't think this can be called a mod!
I'm not trying to do someting better than the Alfa factory!
I just recognise that in reality not every engine is identical, even ehen
new, let alone after 100k miles.......

CAUTIONARY NOTE (2) ..... Maybe people will say that I'm wasting my
time as no one timing setting can be optimum for every driving application.
Well, sure, but the timing's got to be set somewhere, and I just wonder if
the sorts of tests I've described are reasonable for my sort of driving,
which mostly is spirited fast touring useage, i.e. no slow commmuting,
and not a dedicated track car either.

Rgds and thanks,
Graham Hilder,    NZ.
71 & 77 Nords, 82 & 83 Suds.