Re: GM Hates Italian Cars

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:54:29 -0600
From: David Bingham &Kathy Jo Porter <motoduo@wolfenet.com>

>First they took an Alfa spyder and stacked boxes
>ten feet above the roof then crashed it through a
>tunnel. Now the newest TV commercial features a
>Fiat 124 that get filled with dirt by a front end
>loader...it does hurt my heart to witness such brutal
>treatment of fine Italian automobiles.

I agree. The one I just saw showed a 124 owner trying to get some
plywood home and they had to cut a headhole in the wood!

It's like beating an old cliche' for the sake of it. It almost smacks of
(and I don't want to reopen the distastful "redneck" thread) charisma envy.
Sort of like "sure they're pretty and fast and handle well and exotic and
sound good and have fancy names, but can you carry a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood
innit? Well? Canya? See, I told you it wasn't so good!"

The fact that these cars have never sold well (GM dropped more cars off
the loading dock that Alfa and Fiat ever sold in any year!) and, in fact,
haven't been sold at all for 2/10 years doesn't seem to matter. They need
a whipping boy.

- Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@robotic-midwives.com   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (510) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |