New Top & New Noises

I just got a new top on my Duetto put on by Mark at the Golden Needle in
Denver. He did a great job, especially considering all the extra work
that needed to be done.

While driving home with the top up, something I haven't done in awhile, I
noticed once again how much noisier the car seemed than when the top was
down. I know that with the top up I hear more of the mechanical noises
and less of the exhaust and wind. The one noise that  I payed the most
attention too on this drive was coming from the transmission . It's a
metal rubbing noise, kind of like metal sleeves sliding against each
other, that goes away when the clutch is held in so its not the throw out
bearing. I suppose its an input shaft bearing and the question is how
serious of a problem is this. Can it be fixed, does it need a total
rebuild, or do I keep on running it till it fails or something else
requires pulling the tranny? The funny thing is that the syncros are
okay. Just my luck.

Mitch Wolberg
'69 Duetto Jr 1300