RE: lowering methods

Rich Wagner sounds like an engineer who knows what he's talking about
and I'd like to offer something for him, and anyone else out there, to
chew on.

My '87 Milano Gold now has a modified engine from 2.5 to 2.8 liters
which makes it much more powerful than the stock 2.5 and quite a
performer on the autocross events, except for handling.  The stock
suspension is, I'm sure all will agree,  too soft and the car leans more
than it should for getting around the course in the shortest time.

What I did to help it stay flatter in the turns and dive less under hard
braking was to pre-load the rear springs.   I don't  believe in spending
any money for a sport I only participate in maybe once a month.   The
pre-load was done using 2 chain links on each rear spring placed
opposite each other about mid-way up from the bottom.   The coils remain
apart by about a half inch so no rubbing.   What I think I accomplished
was to simulate loading weight without adding any weight.   It corners a
hell of a lot better on the street too.  Is my car still strictly stock
(except for the modified engine?)
Another plus is the appearance which makes it look lower in the rear.
Comments are, it looks much better.

Fred Di Matteo  AROC Tech Advisor  Fort Myers, Florida
'70 Junior Zagato w/ 1750 power, stock suspension
'87 Milano Gold
'91 164b white
'91 164b red