RE: spring compressor

yes, there is a special tool for compressing springs on the front of the
spider.  i've never used a non-alfa tool to do this, so i can't compare,
but i can tell you that used properly the alfa tool works great, and is
safe.

if your local club rents tools, or your friendly alfa mechanic will
lend/rent you one, i'd highly recommend it over a generic spring
compressor.

hope this helps,

bs