[alfa] Graduate Duetto Race Car

Ya know, I could have simply said, "It's nice one of the Graduate cars was saved, just not how I would have done it."

But then you all wouldn't have had near as much fun lighting up your oxyacetylene torches and having a good go.

Not surprised by Peter Krause's comments as an addendum to a comment regarding George Graves wonderful day. I've been to Peter's website, and there are more than a few race cars in the photos. Not saying Peter is like this, but there are those who view anything from a Trabant to a '59 Cadalliac El Dorado and see it as a potential race car.

I especially appreciated Anthony's sincere reply fully agreeing I'm no Mr. and (paraphrasing) it was unfortunate Alfa did not have the benefit of my marketing skills.

What an insight Anthony Licalzi has. As you all know, I'm terribly shy about touting my skills and abilities, but in the mid 60's after two years in marketing at the University of Nebraska (yes, they do more than play football) and taking numerous design and advertising night school classes after moving to L.A., I ended up as an Apprentice art director at an ad agency in Orange County, CA. Eight months later I was put in charge of design / visual marketing concepts for the agency to pitch the then new Mission Viejo (CA) account. A fairly large L.A. agency had the account but produced only one visually stunning ad, but marketing wise a big zero, so the MV account people were considering other agencies. We did about a dozen concepts, and (all modesty aside) one of my personal concepts was the selling point for our agency to get the account. I worked on the MV account for three years as the town grew from a few model homes and buildings to a thriving community before moving to a larger agency in L.A.

So could I have come up with better marketing plans / visual concepts for Alfa Romeo in the 60's? I believe so given at least a halfway decent advertising / marketing budget.

I did like James Tyson's subject heading of "so...the Graduate's future is Plastics instead of racing?" However, and admitting I've gotten more than my share of facts wrong, do believe my views are as valid as most any others on this Digest. Doesn't mean some / many / anybody agrees with them, just feel I have a right to view them. Quite amusing you are quoting the Smother's Brothers: "...the trouble with not knowing what you're talking about is that you don't have a clue when to shut up......." They obviously wouldn't have had a show had they actually subscribed to that statement. Oh yeah, ellipsis have only three dots.

I'm primarily a preservationists, which obviously puts me at odds with the racing fraternity.

Reply to bs: Didn't say the early British cars were state-of-the-art, just they were often more bare boned than Alfas and in spite of their having agricultural type engines, they often did quite well, especially on difficult Rallies.

While admittedly a very small tight race course, saw a Bug-Eye Sprite eat up just about everything on the Streets of Willow (Springs), including a well driven M5 BMW. It was one of AROSC track day events, so there were also a lot of stock and modified Alfas there.

Funny how those who disagree with me, post on-Digest. Those who don't, send off-Digest.

You guys are great at intimidation. As you can see, it sure causes me to keep my opinions to myself.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Since Anthony Licalzi (apparently speaking for many of you) felt strongly: "As far as I'm concerned all Alfas are race cars converted to street cars." That being the case, isn't it time the Graduate SCCA Duetto be converted to a street car and placed where All can enjoy it (like the Peterson Museum - with Dustin allowed visiting and driving rights whenever he cares to stop by)? All in favor, reply ON-Digest.