[alfa] Graduate Duetto race car

Anthony Licalzi fell for it: "Yes, Mr. Biba, I would love to hear what you think about the car being converted into a racer. As far as I'm concerned all Alfas are race cars converted to street cars. lol"

******

First, not sure where this title of Mr. has come from. If I had a first name, which I don't, Mr. fits me as poorly as my first name, if I had one.

Let's see, why don't we take the Spirit of St. Louis and chop the wings and turn it into a pylon racing plane? Or we could take a 6C 29000, flare the fenders, put on 35 profile tires, and turn it into a Real Car.

Okay, not the best analogies and do believe the Spirit of St. Louis is actually a recreation, but sort of see where I'm coming from?

The Graduate I'd say fairly confidently is in the top 100 movies ever made by most knowledgeable cinema folk / critics. It was known almost immediately the movie was a hit. So what was the most memorable prop in the entire movie?

I don't recall why so few 1600 Spiders were made in 1968 (get a total of 466, whereas in '67 I get 5914, but that number looks suspect) - tooling up for the 1750? Labor strikes? Or had a lot of 67's left over? I assume the former.

Had it been possible and from a marketing standpoint '68 would have been the year to make a Graduate model. No, no badges or silly decals, but do a slightly luxe version - leather seats, canvas top, either increase the compression ratio and use hotter cams - or if the 1750 was ready, drop it in with carbs. Perhaps, some special hubcaps, or better yet, cast wheels so the washed (as opposed to the unwashed) would recognize it.

Then I would send the Graduate Duetto around the country (in '68) to the most influential dealers, leave the car in the showroom for several weeks, and let the masses sit in it. If Alfa / Pinninfarina were capable of turning out a greater number, bet they would have sold considerably more than 466 and would have made more profit on each. Then send the car to the museum. I'll also bet people, from all over the world, even today would look at it fondly.

Someone had a hard-on to turn a Duetto into a race car? Why not just get another one from the lot? A hit movie prop turned SCCA racer, I would imagine added as much overall marketing capability for Alfa as crushing the car into a square blob and turning it into some executives coffee table.

Regarding all Alfas being race cars converted to street cars: Alfa did use a fair amount of their racing knowledge on the street cars and all handle everywhere from darn good, to outstanding. But they're not race cars. Perhaps an early Austin Healy with fold down windshield, side curtains, and fairly peppy engine was sort of close to a race car, as were many other early British cars and a few of the early Porsches. But, thank god, Alfa always turned out pretty civilized street cars. Can they be made into race cars, (sigh) yes, but often take a lot of work to do so - not that other street cars don't also.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA