Re: [alfa] re: Rear axle noise on high(est) mileage GTV6

This job is not fun but I haven't found it to be beyond the average creative mechanical skills.  For the tools you can make most of what you need,  for the socket for the earlier type "spanner" nut you can use a four wheel drive front hub socket.  I don't remember the size off hand but there are only a few different sizes.    With this socket you need to grind down the lugs a little but it fits well.  If you have the other style of rings (looks like a hex on the ID) don't even bother with a tool.  Use a dremmel with a cutting wheel.  Cut two slits almost all the way through (don't cut into the threads) then take a chisel to it.  It splits rather easy.  You should order replacement rings which will be the "spanner" style.  I wouldn't try to just punch them in, You will never get enough torque on it.  The spec is really high if I remember right. Undo the half shaft and pull it aside.  You can make a tool to stop the stub axle from rotating with a piece of bar stock.  Drill a couple of holes to match the bolt pattern on the stub shaft.  Leave it long enough to rest against the dedion tube.  Bolt it up with some spare bolts, don't use the long half shaft bolts.  The nut on the stub shaft is pretty large but I don't remember it being an odd size.  I had the socket in the tool box. One thing I didn't see in the instructions was pulling the hub off.  The manual has a tool listed that looks like the mother of all slide hammers.  What I did was to use an old front rotor, press out the studs, weld a piece of bar stock across the center, put it on the rear hub backwards and bolt up the lug nuts.  I then used the largest slide hammer that I had.  It takes a bit of effort but it has worked for me.  IAP lists a bearing puller but I have always rigged up a puller with bar stock and threaded rod.

Good luck,
Dave McCrory
Maryville TN
93' 164