[alfa] General Questions from a new Spider owner...

Jeffrey, you must get a wiring diagram with notations of which fuse does what before beginning your heater motor repair. Then check fuses and make sure all contacts are pristine clean. Do the same with the heater motor switch. If it still won't work and you have to remove the console, let me make a fairly simple suggestion.

But first a caveat: I'm not knowledgeable with modern 1986 Alfas. They're putting air conditioning in cars now? My, my. Next thing you know they'll start putting record players in them.

I am pretty familiar with Alfa Spiders up to '79 / '80 though. After you've removed the screws holding the side panels and the console on, have masking tape and a good marker (Sharpie) at hand. Start by removing the plug in lights on the outside edge - One At A Time. On the first "socket" add a piece of masking tape with A on it, then do the same for the light which came from it. Make sure you can read the A (B, C, D, etc.) from underneath the console, since as you began to plug them back in, you will be almost standing on your head. You might want to consider removing the seats first.

When you get to items with multiple wires going into them, put a piece of tape around all of those wires and designate it as to what it is / goes to. While easier said than done, I suggest you have a pad of paper handy and make a quick diagram of that particular unit, designate it as to what it is, then remove each wire individually, and note where that wire (let's say G) goes on your diagram. You could use color of the various wires names but as you look under the console you'll see numerous black, yellow, blue, etc. wires and might well have two of the same color going to that particular unit. - plus some of the wire colors are very close to one another.

Never having removed one of those new-fangled air conditioning things from a Spider, it might be possible you can just set the console aside without removing it completely. If so, I'd still "code" the lights, since I've found they find it great fun to pop out at the slightest provocation. If only one does, you're jake. If seven do, you're screwed.

Since the thread of whether a dash needs to be removed to get to the heater motor just aired, I should leave it up to the experts. What I surmised, to save aggravation in the long run, just remove the dash or at least enough to lift it up enough for access to the heating unit.

Once you've completed the task, almost all others on your modern Spider will seem simple...by comparison.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Oh yeah, no, you can't sew in a new plastic window without removing the top. I suppose it can be done by hand, but most likely will look like it was done by hand and cost a bunch. Also, believe the top will need to be removed from the frame also. Might want to consider getting a new top.