[alfa] Alfa Style and Fashion

It has been often said that "Fashion" looks dated quite quickly and "Style"
stands the test of time. We appreciate Style in our old cars (unashamedly
speaking for all of us).

IMHO, I would consider the Milano worthy of our discussion as well. Most of
the general public has a strong opinion of that car, when asked. My earliest
memories (pre-Italian-car days) was that it looked like it got rear-ended by a
Corvette. It has grown on me over time and I would own one, but I would call
that one "Fashion" at best.

My other random thought is that even good Style needs to be taken in the
context of the times. The '53 Studebaker, as mentioned by my hero RM Bies, was
a very big deal in it's time. It still looks sleek today, but put in the
context of the big boxy upright cars of the day, it was revolutionary.  If you
stood next to one amidst a flock of other "transportation boxes" from the same
time period. it would be quite dramatic. That would be Style. Raymond Loewy
and those who worked with/for him knew what that was.

http://www.raymondloewy.org/gallery/53stud.html

Karl
Sunnyvale, CA
'95 Alpha Romero