[alfa] General Questions from a new Spider owner...

Hello,

I stumbled upon this list and was happy to find a group of Alfa Romeo owners
on the 'net.  I recently purchased a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, and
enjoyed the last 2 months of the season I spent with this convertible.  The
price was unbelievably right, and the fact that I was nearly back surgery
that would lay me up for nearly 6-12 weeks convinced me that as stupid as a
decision it might be to buy this car, if I didn't I'd regret it later and to
be kind of bleak - I figured that if something happened during the either of
the two surgeries, at least I'd have fulfilled one of my life's dreams - to
own either an Alfa, Fiat, Triumph, or MG.in that order.

As a first time convertible owner in northern Illinois, I was apprehensive
to say the least about purchasing the car.  Not only did everyone try to
talk me out of it just because of the limited drive time in the area, but
the car itself has a few "issues" to say the least.  She has quite a little
bit of rust, especially on the valance directly underneath the rear bumper,
forward of the gas tank.  I think that I saw that International Auto Parts
carries this part, so when I get to the point of restoring the body at least
I know where to find this part.  It's a good thing I know people that race
cars locally so that I can find someone that's crazy enough to weld around
the gas tank.

Some of the other issues with the car include Air Conditioning that probably
requires recharging.not something I really worry about, given the earth's
air conditioning is all one really needs in a drop top.  The one thing that
definitely turned into a "want" at the end of the season was working heat.
As I quickly discovered doing some reading, the separate heater motor or
switch has failed, and I'm not certain which it is - knowing my luck, it's
definitely the motor.

My first question is, of course, has anyone tackled this repair?  It looks
fairly involved, removing much of the console behind the shifter, and so
forth.  There's very little room to work back there, and I have a feeling if
I try to tackle this repair I'm going to be quite agitated quite quickly.
If anyone has any insight or tips on this repair, I would be much obliged to
hear what you have to say.  Sometimes a little bit of experience from
someone else goes a long way to giving one the confidence to try to take on
a repair they otherwise would avoid.  I've owned domestic cars my whole
life, and have replaced blower motors in an Oldsmobile Achieva (what a
horrible car this was!), and my current daily driver a Pontiac Grand Prix
GTP.  Of course, in these vehicles it's a fairly simple affair, tucked
underneath the passenger side hush panel.  Again, my friends were
right."avoid little Italian cars".but I couldn't resist the beauty of this
car.

I love the lines, I love the ride.nothing can describe the first day I took
it out on the Stevenson Expressway and approached Lake Shore Drive coming
into Chicago.  I felt like Ferris Bueller almost driving downtown in this
car.and the looks you get, well - given the kind of shape this vehicle is
in, it still got looks.  There are definitely many fewer of these than I
might have thought on the road, but I'm hoping there are some enthusiasts in
the Chicago area that might be on this list.  I'd love to hear stories and
experiences of what work you've done on your spider, or even stories about
the car itself.

Finally, if anyone can steer me toward any shops in the Northwest Illinois
area that will work on this vehicle.  I'm not certain that some of the
issues I'm going to need to address on this car are within my realm.
Replacing the leather seat covers is something that with a few hours, a few
beers, and some frustration, I'm sure I can figure out.  The convertible
top, though the canvas is in great shape, the window is fogged and beyond
repair.  If anyone knows of anyone that would sew in a new window
(preferably without having to remove the top) in this area, that would be
great.  As for some of the other mechanical aspects, brakes and oil changes
I can handle.it's when it gets into some of the other gremlins I tend to
fall apart.

I've droned on for too long, but again I'm glad to have found this group.  I
look forward to reading your experiences and advice.

Regards,

Jeff Vickery

Romeoville, IL (about 35 miles southwest of Chicago)