[alfa] Re: Stupid Looking Alfas

Subject: [alfa] Stupid looking Alfas

Well now maybe the Disco Volante is your cup of tea but I say there goes a
stupid looking car that might grow on you
Design is many things, very often it is a reflection of the times; a conceptual 'exploration' of ideas, trends, technologies and the like. When looking back on history, one cannot accurately judge (especially subjectively) a design without a complete understanding of the *context*, i.e. what the world was like at that time in history.

Many parts of the world were *alive* with thoughts of the "futuristic society" we were entering. Post war times were consumed with thoughts of jet powered airplanes, rockets and space ships. Hell, Wheaties boxes offered cardboard "space helmets" for all the kids to wear, even woman's shoes had fins. We saw the future as the world of the Jetsons. Disco Volante means "flying disc" in English.

Uninformed judgement is, well . . . just an opinion which is nothing more than hot air. There is a very good video simpliy called "Design" that not only has a good explanation of what design is but also has a good clip on life in the post war era. A good start for novices. I will try to put up a proper reference and maybe a clip of that if I can, sometime in the near 'future' .

A designer/professor's viewpoint,
Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa