re: [alfa] Electric fan for 86 Spider

Mark,
    If you do not have AC, you can put a pusher fan on the front which would
clean up the engine compartment a bit.

    But most generic fans come with zip ties that are supposed to be
threaded thru the radiator fins to secure the fan to the radiator which I
don't like.  You could make your own bracket that uses the existing shroud
mounts (get rid of the shroud altogether - mine hasn't had one for years and
never overheated in DC's August weather) and the fan mounts to your bracket.

    Most places say a 12" fan is required but I think that since the
Spider's radiator is so efficient in the first place, a small fan would
work.  Say something along the lines of 10" or so.  I like the look of
Flex-a-lite fans: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/index.html .  Centerline
sells an electric fan kit which I think is a Flex-a-lite Trimline model
(12").

    Also, you can install a thermocouple in the radiator to switch the fan,
just like Real Car!  Get a stock Alfetta thermocouple, take your radiator to
a radiator shop and ask them to put in a bung from a Jeep.  I did this to my
GTV but haven't put the fan (off a Fiat) on just yet.  I had to find a
radiator shop that hah a used Jeep bung since it seems that you can't buy
them new.

    With all the engine mods you've done, can you tell me what the
differences are between your set up and stock?

    Bruce

    '73 GTV
    '86 Spider