[alfa] Re: Fiat is in Deep Trouble....

I noticed an interesting line in the article: "That could pave the way for an
Italian state-owned holding company to participate in a capital increase in
2005."

Well, well, well, well, well...... Sounds like the chickens have come home to
roost!  ;-)  Been there, done that!

It does warm my heart to see a former BMW exec take over the reigns at Alfa.
In my mind, both companies are kindred spirits - one Teutonic, the other
Romance.  I got a chuckle out of Jeremy Walton's book on the 3-series bimmers.  In
one chapter, he mentioned that the BMW engineers "lusted" (well, maybe
"admired" is a better word to use in the Teutonic jargon) after Alfa's DOHC design.

Karl-Heinz Kalbfell probably knows what it takes to sell cars to Americans
(being one, I'm not sure that's a compliment or not.... kind of a Groucho Marx
philosophy!  Apologies to our non-Yankee digesti.)  When we were in Italy this
summer with our niece and nephew, I noted how many new Alfas were on the road
and how relatively few new Fiats I saw.  I took this to mean that Alfa was a
healthy and growing concern.  Good news indeed!

Maybe things are looking up after all.

Charlie

PS  By the way.... What happened to the former head of Ferrari?  I thought he
took over Fiat Auto.  Or was it Fiat Group that he now heads up?

In a message dated 12/7/2004 4:53:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,