Re: [alfa] GTV6 Mechanical Belt Tensioner Procedures

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:54:56 -0600
> From: "Dave Mericle" <veloce@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] GTV6 Mechanical Belt Tensioner Procedures
>
> Howdy all - my '83 GTV6 cam belt has jumped a cog or two.  What is the correct
> procedure for re-setting a mechanical belt tensioner?

dave, you sound awefully cheerful for someone whoose cam belt skipped.
if you don't have any bent valves, you should invest in some lottery
tickets:)
the first - and most important - step is to throw out your current tensioner.
even if you're in the camp of continuing to use the mechanical
tensioner, they are not to be trusted without pulling it off and
verfiying that the small spring is not broken on the backside. that
spring is absurdly fragile, so you should have a replacement on hand,
just in case you snap yours (i.e. by letting it spring back from the
retracted position, rather than slowly rotating it) while checking it
out.
the instructions that come with the tensioner are pretty good. borrow
(or buy for $20 at pep boys) a beam style torque wrench for proper
installation.

i would personally upgrade to a fixed tensioner, a la tom zat. the
timing belt needs to be checked and replaced more often, but you can
replace the belt at every oil change and not approach the cost of
replacing valves (AMHIK).

regards,
-ethan schartman
-princeton, NJ