[alfa] Twin-spark starter motor + Ebay + thanks

Hi again folks,

First of all, thanks to all those who responded to my previous question about
upgrading the alternator in my '74 Giulia GTV. I recieved lots of good
suggestions. Some suggested that I use an alternator from a V6 or later model
4 cylinder car (twin spark or late giulietta/alfetta). I will be exploring
this option first. Others suggested that I could adapt one of several GM/Denso
units, so I will pay a trip to the junkyard to see if this is feasible. Will
report back with the results if anyone is interested.

OK, on to my current problem. I have just recieved a starter motor that I
purchased on Ebay (where else?). The starter was listed as being from a late
model Alfa 75 twin-spark engine, and was advertised as being a direct bolt on
replacement to the starter in the earlier 105/116 2000 model cars. The
twin-spark uses a modern "small" 1.4hp gear reduction starter. I purchased it
in the hope of upgrading the big, heavy, bellhousing cracking Bosch starter in
my '74 GTV. The seller assured me that it was a staright bolt on replacement.
Indeed I have heard of many Giulia owners replacing their starters with modern
gear reduction starters.

Problem is that the starter I recieved does not fit. The bolt spacings on the
casing are too far apart (although they have the familiar alfa triangular
pattern) and the circumference of the starters nose is far too large to fit in
the bellhousing.

So what I am trying to determine is whether the starter I received is actually
for an Alfa, or some other model of car. The rear casing has the following
stamped on it- "Magneti Marelli- Made in the UK- E70R-1.4/12 63223435".
Curiously, the side of the casing also has the following stamped on it- "BMW
12.411726463". I cannot imagine a BMW using a UK made Marelli starter, but
stranger things have happened.

I am led to believe that 2000 Giulia models used two types of bellhousings,
and that mine is the very rare type. Could this have something to do with the
starter not fitting?

Anyone know what is going on here? Wrong starter? I would like to find out
before I start shouting at the seller. Can e-mail a photo of the starter if it
helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sasha Nackovski- Melbourne, Australia