[alfa] Re: Zippo Alfa content (ZAC), but reopening a few recent threads

It's altogether probable that many people took the name of where they are from when they emigrate. My family name is Graves - a prominent wine-growing region in France, for instance. My people are mostly Norman, so originally the name could have been De Graves, meaning 'of or from Graves region'. There is a scene in the movie "Godfather II" where we see a young Vito Andolini from Sicily entering Ellis Island. The official asked the boy his name and he replied "Vito Andolini a Corleone", meaning Vito Andolini from Corleone. The official didn't understand, and wrote "Corleone" on the boy's paperwork. Thus Vito Corleone was born. I suspect that this happened a LOT to immigrants coming to the USA.

George