[alfa] Re: Alfa heraldry

Biba,

The term 'Visconti" literally means Viscount or Duke. The first Duke or
Milan, one Ottone of Invario, adopted the title as his last name, one
would assume in the same manner that many surnames were spawned in the
middle ages; I.E. after what one did for a living, such as Miller,
Cartwright, Smith, etc.

The cross, OTOH, is the cross of the Hospitalers of the Order of Saint
John (later known as the Knights of Rhodes) from the Crusades adopted
by the City of Milan as their flag (which it remains to this day). In
fact, when Merosi, the first director of A.L.F.A. wanted to use it for
the Alfa logo, he had to petition the city for permission to do so.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'
(CA Lic# 'TIPO116')