[alfa] '79 spider upgrades/winter project

The #1 Spica injection tube cracked because the last "mechanic" had not installed all the proper tube clamps. So I decided to remove the engine and trans and fix a few other things while I was in there:

While the engine is out I'll replace the intake manifold (broken T/A stud) and injection tubes (cracked and leaking pipe & improper install by DPO), and replace the Thermostatic Actuator; install 1750 cams with minimal lash, and time to 102 lobe centers.

It gets a replacement transmission with new front and rear seals and trans mount (old one had really noisy bearing whine in all but 4th which goes away when clutch is depressed), and rebuilt clutch master and slave, new T/O bearing and relined clutch disk.

The heater box was removed to rebuild/repair heater fan (doesn't run), and to calibrate or replace heater valve (heat does not shut off).

The Boy whines it has no tunes, so it will get a CD player w/ new front speakers in footwells and 6x9s in package shelf behind seats.

Since the drive shaft is out, its convenient to replace the rear axle pinion seal (slinging differential oil onto the rear exhaust can).

I don't have time to rebuild the front suspension right now, but I'll drill holes through all four front lower A arm castings into the 4 bushings then install grease zerks to lube the bushings (squeaks badly) - old fix from the 70s...will get me through the winter.

The convoluted main fuel filter and piping will be replaced with a simpler unit from a '73. The dual point distributor with vacuum retard was already replaced by a coil and distributor from a '73.

The cracked and disintegrating plastic mechanical cooling fan and inner fan shroud will be tossed and an electric pusher fan installed on the front of the radiator.

And several other annoyances........

I'm sure there will be opportunity for some questions before I'm through.

//kct, Powell, TN --