[alfa] '79 Spider - Swap in mechanical tach for electric?

The electric tachometer in my '79 spider has never operated. I've pulled the engine to do a variety of repairs, and see that the water pump appears to be compatible with a tach gear drive. If I have the gear unit to put into the water pump, install a tach cable (and find a working mechanical tach), would this be a simple retro fit? Anyone been there & done that?

Anyone have a working mechanical tach from a '71 thru '77 spider for sale?

Thanks, //kct, Powell, TN --