[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #440

Just my two cents worth...
While rebuilding a clutch cylinder sounds like a good way to save a few
bucks (gosh, you own an Italian exotic car but you can't afford a  new cylinder
which only costs $120.00) please remember others are on the  road so don't try
this with brake cylinders. I am a machinist by trade... If a  hydraulic
cylinder is leaking it is usually for one of two reasons, either the  cylinder walls
have worn out or the rubber seals/O-rings have worn out. Check  the
concentricity and the taper of the cylinder before you go through  the effort of honing.
If either spec is too far out of tolerance you're not  going to get a good
seal and you will have to either sleeve or replace the  cylinder. While clutch
failure would be at most an inconvenience a  brake system failure on an Alfa
with drum brakes would be catastrophic resulting  is a complete system failure
and an inability to stop the car.
On a lighter note, my latest project arrived yesterday and I'm looking
forward to getting ready for use. I found an original Pininfarina hardtop for a
Boattail Spider. Currently, it needs painting and some serious attention to  the
weather-stripping but boy is it just too cool looking sitting on the  car!
Thomas Gonnella