[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #440

Actually, I think the human in the serpent's mouth is a woman. I was in
Italy last month and got to visit the Sforza Castle in Milan where the
coat-of-arms of the Duke of Milan is repeated over various gates in the
castle walls. The story is that in 1910, Geometra Merosi the first head
of the company, gave a young draftsman named Romano Cattaneo the job of
designing a badge for the then fledgling A.L.F.A. Cattaneo had been to
the castle and had been struck by a coat of arms that had the serpent
swallowing a 'person' on the left-hand side of a traditional shield
shape, and the red cross on a white background on the right. He went to
work and replaced the shield with a rondelle, and changed the
juxtaposition of the two symbols to yield the emblem we all know and
love. Anyway, looking at the very image that inspired Cattaneo almost a
century ago, it looks as if the person in the serpent's mouth has
rather prominent female mammalia. I'd welcome other opinions. If you'd
like for me to send you a photograph of the bit of heraldry in
question, send me an E-mail.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'
(CA Lic# 'TIPO116')